What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is called the “Invisible Killer” because it's a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. More than 150 people in the Unites States die every year from accidental nonfire-related CO poisoning associated with consumer products, including generators. Other products include faulty, improperly-used or incorrectly-vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces.

Source: Consumer Product Safety Commission
Know the symptoms of CO poisoning
Because CO is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses, people may not know that they are being exposed. The initial symptoms of low to moderate CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever). They I
Shortness of breath
High level CO poisoning results in progressively more
severe symptoms, including:
Mental confusion
Loss of muscular coordination
Loss of consciousness
Ultimately death

Did you know?

More than 150 people in the U.S. die every year from accidental nonfire-related carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide or CO is a colorless and odorless gas. CO poisoning can occur when a fuel-burning appliance or machine, such as a furnace, heater or generator, is not working or vented properly. Breathing in CO at high levels can be fatal.

Protect your family from the dangers of CO.

  Install and maintain CO alarms inside your home to provide early warning of CO.

 Install CO alarms in a central location outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of your home. Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows and vents. o Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.

Where Co2 Is Generated From

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that can kill you quickly. It is called the silent killer because it is colorless, odorless, tasteless and non-irritating. If the early signs of CO exposure are ignored or the CO concentration is very high, a person may lose consciousness and be unable to escape the danger. CO exposure is the leading cause of death due to poisoning in the United States. However, CO deaths are entirely preventable.

CO is present in outdoor and indoor air, and is produced by burning fuels such as wood, oil, natural gas, propane, kerosene, coal and gasoline. CO in outdoor air is due primarily to exhaust from vehicles. CO in indoor air is related to the presence of appliances which use CO-producing fuels. The normal background level of CO in a home may vary depending on the presence of cigarette smoke and the types of heating and cooking fuels. The World Health Organization recommends that the indoor air level for CO be below an average of 9 parts per million (ppm) for any eight-hour period, and below 25 ppm for any one-hour period. One ppm means one part of CO per million parts of air.

Each year, approximately 200 people in New York State are hospitalized because of accidental CO poisoning. About one-third of these victims are poisoned by CO from a fire and about two-thirds are poisoned by CO that is produced by fuel-burning sources. Many more people are treated for CO exposure in emergency rooms without further hospital care. Most CO exposures and poisonings occur when people are in the home.

Signs And Symptoms Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning may include:
Dull headache
Nausea or vomiting
Shortness of breath
Blurred vision
Loss of consciousness

Carbon monoxide poisoningcan be especially dangerous for people who are sleeping or intoxicated. People may have irreversible brain damage or even be killed before anyone realizes there's a problem.
When to see a doctor
The warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning can be subtle. But the condition is a life-threatening medical emergency. If you think you or someone you're with may have carbon monoxide poisoning, get into fresh air and seek emergency medical care.